FAQs on University’s Health Insurance (UHC & MYCG)

1.) What is the type of coverage for each group of students?

Provider Type of coverage Who
  •  Group Personal Accident (GPA)
  •  Group Outpatient Specialist(SP)


Singapore Citizen

Singapore PR


  •   Group Hospitalisation & Surgery (GHS)
    –   (Government restructured hospital  and  UHC – Ward B2)
Singapore Citizen

Singapore PR

  •  Group Hospitalisation & Surgery (GHS)
    –  (Government restructured hospital and UHC, Ward B1)
    – Outpatient Mental Health


  • University Health Scheme (general health coverage – outpatient)
Singapore Citizen

Singapore PR


2.) If a student is on LOA, will there be insurance coverage during the LOA period ?

If student is on LOA due to medical reason, the student will continue to be covered until the end of the next semester after the LOA starts, provided the insurance premium is paid.

If the LOA is due to non-medical (e.g voluntary LOA), the insurance coverage for the student will stop when the student is on LOA.

3.) Are first year students attending orientation covered under the University’s Health Insurance?

Yes, first year students attending orientation activities organized by NUS (Yale-NUS) will be covered NUS Group Personal Accident (GPA)/Group Hospitalization and Surgical (GHS) during orientation.

4.) What is the annual limit for outpatient mental health?

The annual limit is $2,000 per year (for International UG students only).

5.) I was prescribed medication by the psychiatrist; is this covered under University’s Health Insurance?

Yes, this is covered under the NUS Group Hospitalisation & Surgical Insurance (GHS) if referral was made by a NUS counsellor or doctor at a Singapore Government restructured hospital. If medication was prescribed by a private clinic psychiatrist, 50% of eligible medical expenses will be covered by the insurance.

6.) Is sexual assault covered under the University’s Health Insurance?

Yes, it is covered under medically related circumstances. There would be no coverage for sickness or disease directly or indirectly arising from sexually transmitted diseases, Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS) related condition, or infection by Human Immune-Deficiency Virus (HIV).

7.) Are dental and optical expenses covered?

Dental and optical expenses are not covered unless these are as a result of an accident.

8.) How to students pay their insurance premium?

Students pay the insurance premium via the miscellaneous fees (eg. Health and Student Service fees) as part of their student fees listed on the student bill on per semester basis.

9.) What is the time-frame for submission of claims?

– UHC – please submit your claims within 30 days (from the date of treatment) in person for processing to the University Health Centre (Admin Office).
– MYCG – please submit your claims within 30 days (from the date of treatment) for processing to MYCG via email at nus@mycg.com.sg  Claim form can be obtained here.

This FAQ is developed for Yale-NUS students ONLY. Please refer to the NUS University Health Centre (UHC) or MYCG for full coverage details.

*Disclaimer: Health insurance claims is subject to review on a case by case basis by UHC or the insurance provider(MYCG)

Last Updated on 18 Oct 2018