All the following modules were previously ungraded and therefore were not allowed to be counted toward any major. Based on feedback from the Heads of Studies and recommendations from the Curriculum Committee, the Academic Committee has now approved updates to the regulations governing the following modules which will be effective from Semester 2, AY 2017-2018.
IRR = Independent Reading and Research (2MC);
ILSR = Independent Language Study and Research (2MC)
SPS = Special Project in Science (5MC)
1. A maximum of 7 MCs can be counted from IRR/ILSR/SPS throughout a student’s undergraduate career. These are usually ungraded. Only modules that count towards a student’s major or independent minor can be graded.
2. A maximum of 5 IRR/ILSR/SPS MCs can be graded and count towards the major or independent minor with the prior approval from the Head of Studies or Advisor to an Independent Minor.
3. In extremely rare circumstances, an exception to the maximum above may be approved by the Chair of the Curriculum Committee following the relevant Divisional Director’s endorsement
4. A maximum of 2 IRR/ILSR is allowed in one semester.
5. A maximum of 2MCs only from IRR/ILSR can be counted towards the requirements for a minor with prior approval from the Head of Studies of the relevant major.
6. NO SPS can be counted towards requirements for a minor in Science.
Updated on: 23 Mar 2018