Request for AD Note

Assistant Dean’s Note (ADN)

AD Notes are available primarily for students to postpone assignments or exams. Assistant Dean’s Notes (ADN) are to be obtained only from the AD of the student’s RC (or the designated covering AD). The AD may give permission for a student in their residential college to make up work missed during the semester because of an incapacitating illness (physical or mental health), the death of a family member, or an emergency of comparable seriousness (e.g., trauma related incidents such as sexual assault, visiting a seriously ill family members/relatives/loved, appointments with Immigration and Checkpoints Authority (ICA), uncontrollable events such as an airport closure or flight cancellation). The AD also has authority to give permission to make up work missed because of the observance of religious holy days. If you are applying AD notes for religious reasons, you will need to put in an application at least 4 weeks ahead.

Note: Students who have experienced trauma from sexual violence could instead reach out to a designated Survivor Support Advisor to assist with the application for an AD note.

An ADN will not be given for:

  • Interviews (e.g. for jobs/scholarships/internships)
  • Participation in competitions, conferences, fellowships etc.
  • Computer crashes
  • Common colds or the flu
  • Travelling to attend social events (e.g. weddings, family gathering)
  • Extracurricular activities (e.g. sports training, performance, rehearsals)

The ADN covers both a student’s unsubmitted coursework and absences from class without penalties for the dedicated period of the note. Therefore, faculty will arrange with the student to submit the coursework within an appropriate time frame.

In all other cases of work missed during the term, permission to make up for course work must be secured directly from the faculty teaching the module, since the faculty is the only person who can decide, in the context of the nature and requirements of the module, whether such permission is appropriate.

If you are too ill to work, your first priority should be to get immediate medical attention. Your health should be your main concern. Please inform your AD about your situation as soon as you are able to, so that your AD is aware of it and can provide the necessary support.

Medical Certificate

A student who receives a Medical Certificate (MC) from a doctor or a psychiatrist for a period of less than two (2) weeks does NOT also need a Assistant Dean’s Note. A student who receives a Medical Certificate (MC) from a doctor or a psychiatrist is unfit to attend class or complete assignments during the period specified in the MC. When an MC is presented to the faculty member, the faculty member will work with the student when the student is well to make up for a missed class or set a new deadline for an uncompleted work/exam. If a faculty member is concerned that a student has been receiving multiple MCs or if the period of illness specified in the MC is more than two (2) weeks or if the period of illness specified in the MC significantly impacts the fulfilment of the module’s key learning outcomes, the faculty member will contact the student’s Assistant Dean, who will follow-up with the student.

Click here to request for Assistant Dean’s Note »